There are likely to be times when the school has to be closed at short notice because of plant failure or severe weather. We will always alert parents as soon as possible here on the school's website, via our twitter feed and through our school comms system in addition, we will endeavour to broadcast this information on the local radio stations; BBC Radio Kent and Invicta FM. An explanatory message will be placed on the school answer-phone.
A number of factors are considered carefully before the school is closed. Due consideration is given to:
- severe weather warnings indicating that travel is inadvisable
- if sufficient teaching staff can safely travel to and from the school and an effective curriculum can be delivered
- if the site can be cleared of snow to allow safe access [including the parking of staff vehicles on site to avoid additional vehicle congestion in Orchard Street]for staff, pupils and parents
- if parents can reasonably be expected to negotiate icy roads and pavements and travel safely to school
- if the school has heating and can provide meals for those entitled to them
We will make every effort to give as much notice as possible of school closures - usually the evening before. This, we hope, will give sufficient time for any child care arrangements to be made. The flip side to this is that a decision is made early and conditions rapidly improve calling the decision into doubt.